Tips for New Relationships, Marrieds & Married with Children
Happy 1st day of Spring! We're in the midst of our blog series: Spring Into Love and I must admit, I am having the best time writing this series. It has made me reflect on my own relationship and my hope is that you have done the same.
If you're in a new relationship, married or married with kids, this week is for you! Let's jump right in with our tips.
Tips for New Relationships
1) Send him or her a copy of your resume. Attach a note saying, "I'd like you to get to know me better."
*Disclaimer: Do not do this if you're applying for a job! HAHA!
2) Listen for "Pings" in your relationship. Pings are any action or habit your partner has that you just know you couldn't live with for the rest of your life. For example: You're in the car and a rap song comes on. You cringe because you hate rap music and he squeals, I LOVE RAP! (Ping!)
3) Keep the communication flowing.
4) Evaluate your relationship with the following formula:
60% + Spark = A
In other words, if a person has at least 60% of the qualities you want in your ideal partner, plus you have "spark" (passion and romance) - go for it!
5) Guys when giving jewelry, never, never, never, package it in a ring box, unless . . . it's an engagement ring. You may not know this but those little black boxes spell one word M-A-R-R-I-A-G-E! Ask the jeweler for a different box or present it in a fun, creative way.
Tips for Marrieds Only
1) "Re-frame" your relationship:
- She is not your wife - she's your lover.
- He's not your husband - he's that handsome devil that you just feel head-over-heels in love with, remember?!
3) Turn to her in public and whisper, "I'm glad I married you."
4) Go on a second honeymoon. Go on a third honeymoon.
5) Save your "Just Married" sign (or make a new one). Tape it to the back windshield of your car before taking off on a Sunday afternoon drive. People will honk and wave. You'll feel like a newlywed again!
Tips for Married with Kids
1) Send your kids to summer camp. It just might revitalize your marriage unlike any specific romantic gesture ever could!
2) Instead of having the babysitter come in while you're out, have the babysitter take the kids out! Send them to a double movie and enjoy the peace and quiet.
3) Guys: Add Mother's Day to your list of Obligatory Romance dates to observe. Mark it on your calendar now!
4) Make special "Love Coupons" to help each other deal with the kids:
- "I'll get up in the middle of the night with the baby."
- "It's my turn to stay at home with the sick kid."
- "Five taxi trips - hauling the kids the practice."
- "I'll cook the kids dinner."
As always, comment below with your own tips. We'd love to hear from you.
Single ladies and guys, be here next week because the post will be for you. Have a wonderful week!
All the best,